Hooded Fang “Bye Bye Land”

Don’t you love rediscovering music; tunes that somehow get swept under the rug and forgotten? It may be weeks, months, or even years until they get uncovered again. Maybe an old mix cd is found or you cruise through old playlists. That surprise of hearing that old song you used to play on repeat is a pretty great feeling and almost always met with an exclamation such as, “I forgot all about this song!” or “I used to love this band!”

I remember when I was younger and was completely obsessed with saving every ounce of music I came across. Anytime I would grab a new CD it would be instantly placed in my iTunes library and saved to my computer. If I had downloaded the album then it would be burned to a blank CD. I had to have a physical and digital copy of everything. Not only that; I had to have the artist, song title, and artist credited to everything. One night my dad walked by and asked why I had so much music on there and if I really listened to it all. My response had everything to do with the ability to go back and have access to all the music I had ever enjoyed. 

It’s no secret that music is a memory marker. There is music that I can listen to and completely relive the time, circumstances, and emotions I was feeling when that song or album was being played. It’s akin to keeping old photos. We keep them to be reminded of earlier times in our lives. But where pictures give us a visible reference, music gives us a visceral recount. 

I recently happened upon this old jam by a band called Hooded Fang. “Bye Bye Land” was a song I had posted on a previous blog that I used to have. I remember playing this tune during the later years of college. I had never really checked out anything more by the band but I always loved this song. It’s a fun lil sunny day jam with a catchy melody. I really dig the effects on the vocals too, kind of muddy and dirty. 

I’m always stoked to listen to music I once loved but forgot. Pretty stoked on finding this one again. Hope you enjoy. 

What old songs or bands have you re-discovered lately?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benoit Pioulard “A Coin on the Tongue”

Gorillaz “Dirty Harry”

Aesop Rock “None Shall Pass”