The Walkmen "Canadian Girl"

Who's your favorite band? Do you have one? Has it ever changed?

I can name at least three that I claimed as my "favorite band" since I was young. N'sync was my first. Yep, the Justin Timberlake, pop, boy-band was my jam when I was in elementary. I'm not ashamed.

The second band, which held my top spot all through high school, was Cursive (thanks to my cousin Kirk); a bit of a post-emo, Saddle Creek rock band led by Tim Kashir.

Eventually Cursive's luster began waning and my interests started spreading in many different ways. I hate to say "maturing" but perhaps that is the best description. As I searched and explored new bands there was always one group that seemed to show up; this mysterious band called The Walkmen. And for whatever reason I always kept my distance from them. I'm still not really sure why. I just never had an interest in checkin' them out. But eventually that would change.

I don't remember specifically when I decided to finally give them a shot but I do remember not being blown away upon my first listen. "The Rat" is, or was, usually regarded as their flagship song. I enjoyed it but didn't love it.

I didn't give up though. Something was kindling in me and I had this growing notion of something bigger and better. So I snagged their fourth and in my opinion best album, "You and Me". And that was it. I was sold. I was hooked.

"You and Me" is the point in the band's career that showcased the sound they had spent so long establishing. It still has that east-coast grime that was prevalent on "Everyone Who Pretended to Like Me Is Gone" and the folky side that they toyed with on "A Hundred Miles Off". Hamilton Leithauser's vocals have that unique croon that I have come to love dearly. The dynamics are incredible and the use of horns and other traditional instruments make for truly inspirational songwriting.

So with all that I give you my favorite band...The Walkmen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benoit Pioulard “A Coin on the Tongue”

Gorillaz “Dirty Harry”

Aesop Rock “None Shall Pass”