Fuzz “HazeMaze”

Remember Ty Segall? He’s truly a “jack-of-all-trades”. I remember finding out about Fuzz and listening to them for awhile before I made the connection...”The lead singer sounds just like Ty Segall” I remember thinking to myself. Come to find out after a bit of research, it is Ty singing! But that wasn’t the the biggest surprise...he’s actually playing drums too! Holy smokes!

In pretty much all of his other projects: Ty Segall, Ty Segall Band, and his associations with other weirdo, psyche rock bands like Sic Apls, The Perverts, and White Fence, Segall has always shredded the guitar. So I was pretty flabbergasted when I found out he was drumming and singing in Fuzz. I’ve played the drums since I was probably 12 years old, and let me tell you, singing while playing drums is very difficult.

But as I listened to more-and-more of Ty’s music, after I found out about Fuzz, I eventually fell upon his first full length album. Released on Castle Face Records, started by psychedelic rock hero Johnathon Dwyer of Thee Oh Sees, I was even more surprised to find out that Ty actually recorded and performed live...playing drums, guitar, and vocals... all on his own! Unbelievable.

I have the utmost respect and high praise for Ty Segall. But all of the credit and focus can’t be on him when it comes to Fuzz. Roland Cosio, who was later replaced by Chad Ubovich (of Meatbodies), provides some gnarly bass in Fuzz and even has a killer bass solo on the albums third track “What’s in My Head” But Charles Moothart, a riff master, is what really gives Fuzz their sound. Sludgy, stoner-rock riffs are his specialty and he shines on “HazeMaze”. He’s got a solo shredder on this track too that absolutely kills it.

The Fuzz trio holds true to classic “stoner rock”.

I just can’t get enough of psychedelic rock and Fuzz delivers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benoit Pioulard “A Coin on the Tongue”

Gorillaz “Dirty Harry”

Aesop Rock “None Shall Pass”