Liars "The Overachievers"

Have you ever day dreamed about running away? Forgetting all the expectations, requirements, and every obligated adherence life demands? I have. In fact, I would say I consider it every day. To some this might sound alarming. But I think it would be alarming if there were individuals who didn't dream about leaving it all.

Cellphones, social media, mortgages, student loans, car loans, credit card debt, taxes, bank accounts, spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, birthdays etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc .etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc .etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Sometimes it's just too much. It's absolutely exhausting. And while I hate to sound like a cynical person...these things are required. Yes, they teach us responsibility. Yes, they keep us functioning and able to live "comfortable" lives. Yes, they are the social norms that allow us to operate congruently with those who have somehow "conquered" it.

But is it the ticket to happiness? How much of this stuff do we really need?

I absolutely realize how ironic it is for me to talk about these things...sitting in front of a laptop computer in a warm apartment building with food in my refrigerator and clothes in my dresser. There are people in the world who's only concern right now is to find the next meal. And that thought alone makes this whole scenario even worse. I'm worried about not having a functioning phone or vehicle while people are literally STARVING.

Which is why it is very important to take a step back and realize just how blessed or privileged we are to have what we have and live where we live. And I would like to think I am thankful for these things... until something goes wrong.

"I bought a house with you"

My mind is racing right now and I'm ranting like the stereotypical Caucasian, millennial, twenty-something is expected to.

"We settled down with cats"

The more I grow up and the more I learn it has becomes more and more apparent to me that true happiness comes only in loving others as yourself, respect, and being thankful for what we do have.

"There wasn't much to do"

To run away and give up would be a disservice and huge undermining to those who have it much worse.

"So we just sat and watched the TV...and smoked weed"

Okay, the rant is over.

Feeling a little better now... I think.

Here's a song that I believe embodies the essence of the continuous facade and chasing of what true happiness "is in America". Liars put a darkly humorous spin on all of these things we tackle in everyday live. While the lyrics state it pretty clearly...the music alone does it justice.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Benoit Pioulard “A Coin on the Tongue”

Gorillaz “Dirty Harry”

Aesop Rock “None Shall Pass”